Sample Interview Questions and Answers for Healthcare workers: Midwifery NHS Trusts


Here are a few interview questions to get you prepped for your next NHS job. Kindly tailor them to suit your experience and work environment. It is not advised that you memorise it but just get to know how the questions can be, reframe them and practice to get an idea. 

Most interviewers may start with tell us about yourself. It is important not to just mention your name and other demographic details which you have in your CV. Try to talk about your values, abilities, achievements, strengths and weaknesses. Consider highlighting your relevant experiences, skills, and personal qualities that make you a strong fit for the role. Here is an example:

I am a passionate and committed midwife with more than two years of experience offering women and families high-quality care during pregnancy, birth, and postpartum. I have developed strong  communication skills, take an empathic approach, and adhere to evidence-based practise throughout my career. I am also comfortable working in a team and collaborating with other healthcare professionals to provide the best possible care. 

Outside of work, I am an avid reader of the latest research in midwifery and enjoy attending conferences and workshops to stay up-to-date with new developments. I am confident that my experience, skills, and personal qualities make me an excellent candidate for this position and I am excited about the opportunity to bring my passion for midwifery to your team.

1. What inspired you to pursue a career in midwifery and what do you find most rewarding about it?

Answer: I have always been passionate about women's health and empowering them to make informed decisions about their own bodies. I find the most rewarding aspect of midwifery to be witnessing the transformation that occurs during pregnancy and birth, and being able to support families during this incredibly special and intimate time in their lives.

2. Can you describe a difficult situation you faced as a midwife and how you dealt with it?

Answer: One situation that stands out to me was a birth where the baby was in a breech position and needed to be delivered via a caesarean section. I had to remain calm and communicate effectively with the mother, who was anxious and scared, to ensure that she was informed and felt comfortable with the decision. I also worked closely with the medical team to ensure a safe and smooth delivery for both mother and baby.

3. How do you stay up-to-date with developments and changes in midwifery practices and policies?

Answer: I make sure to regularly attend continuing education courses and conferences, and I also stay informed through reading relevant journals, books, and online resources. I also actively seek out opportunities for professional development and collaboration with other midwives.

4. How do you approach informed choice and consent with your clients?

Answer: I believe that informed choice and consent is at the heart of midwifery care. I always ensure that my clients have access to accurate and comprehensive information about their options, and that they are encouraged to ask questions and voice any concerns they may have. I also respect their autonomy and support them in making decisions that are best for them and their babies.

5. How do you handle conflicts or disagreements with medical colleagues or other members of the interdisciplinary team?

Answer: I approach conflicts and disagreements in a professional and solution-focused manner. I listen to all perspectives, communicate my own thoughts and concerns clearly and respectfully, and work collaboratively with the team to find a solution that is in the best interest of the client and their baby. I also make sure to involve the client in any decisions that affect their care.

6. How do you support and empower women during their birth experience?

Answer: I believe that birth is a unique and transformative experience for each woman and I strive to provide individualised and holistic care. I provide continuous physical, emotional and informational support throughout the birth process, and encourage women to be actively involved in decision-making about their care. I also respect and honour their birth preferences, and work with them to create a birth plan that reflects their values and needs.

7. Can you give an example of a time when you had to make a quick decision in a high-pressure situation?

Answer: One example was a birth where the foetal heart rate showed signs of distress and I had to quickly assess the situation and make a decision on the best course of action. I communicated with the mother and the medical team, and based on my assessment, we decided to proceed with an emergency c-section to ensure the safety of the mother and baby. I remained calm and focused throughout the procedure to ensure a smooth and successful delivery.

8. How do you approach cultural sensitivity and diversity in your practice?

Answer: I acknowledge and respect the diversity of cultures and beliefs in my practice, and make sure to provide culturally sensitive care to all of my clients. I also strive to educate myself about different cultures and customs, and seek out opportunities for cultural competence training. I work with clients to incorporate their beliefs and values into their care, and make sure to involve their families and support systems in their birth experience.

9. Can you describe a time when you had to advocate for a client's needs or wishes?

Answer: One time, a client expressed that she wanted to have a water birth, which was not commonly offered at the facility. I advocated for her by presenting the evidence-based benefits of water birth and working with the medical team to secure the necessary resources and approvals. I made sure to keep the client informed and involved throughout the process, and ultimately, she was able to have a successful water birth with the support and care she desired.

10. How do you balance the need for medical intervention and the importance of natural, physiological birth?

Answer: As a midwife, I believe in promoting and supporting physiological birth whenever possible, while also recognising the need for medical intervention in certain situations. I continuously assess and monitor both the mother and the baby during labor and delivery, and make evidence-based decisions to ensure their safety and well-being. I also communicate with the mother and the medical team, and involve them in decisions about their care to ensure that they are informed and comfortable with the approach taken.

11. Can you describe your experience working with high-risk pregnancies or complications?

Answer: I have experience working with high-risk pregnancies and managing various complications, such as gestational diabetes, pre-eclampsia, and foetal distress. I work closely with medical professionals and the interdisciplinary team to provide comprehensive care and support to the mother and baby, while ensuring that the birth experience is as positive and empowering as possible. I also make sure to involve the mother in decisions about her care, and provide ongoing education and resources to help her manage any complications.

12. How do you maintain good communication with clients, their families, and other members of the healthcare team?

Answer: I believe that open and effective communication is key to providing high-quality midwifery care. I make sure to establish clear and consistent lines of communication with my clients, their families, and the healthcare team, and I listen to their concerns and needs. I also provide regular updates on the mother and baby's progress, and involve the client and family in decisions about their care. I also make sure to document all communication and decisions in the client's medical record.

13. How do you stay current with advancements and changes in midwifery practices and evidence-based care?

Answer: As a midwife, I recognise the importance of ongoing education and professional development to provide the best care to my clients. I stay informed about the latest research and advancements in midwifery practices and evidence-based care by attending conferences, workshops, and continuing education courses. I also regularly review current guidelines and protocols, and participate in interdisciplinary team meetings and case reviews to stay informed and up-to-date on the latest developments in my field.

14. Can you describe a difficult or challenging situation you faced in your midwifery practice and how you overcame it?

Answer: One challenging situation I faced was a birth where the baby was in a breech position and the mother was determined to have a vaginal birth. I worked closely with the mother to educate her on the options and risks associated with a breech birth, and we made the decision to proceed with a vaginal delivery with the support of a paediatrician and an obstetrician. Despite some complications during the delivery, the birth was successful and both the mother and the baby were healthy. This experience reinforced the importance of effective communication and collaboration with the medical team and the mother to ensure the best outcomes for all involved.

15. How do you prioritise and manage your workload effectively?

Answer: As a midwife, I have a demanding and unpredictable workload, but I have developed effective time management and prioritisation skills to ensure that I am able to provide high-quality care to all of my clients. I use technology and resources such as electronic medical records, task lists, and calendar reminders to stay organised and on top of my workload. I also make sure to prioritise the most pressing and urgent tasks, and delegate responsibilities when necessary to ensure that all clients receive the care and support they need.

16. Can you describe your experience working in a team and how you handle conflicts with other healthcare professionals?

Answer: As a midwife, I recognise the importance of working effectively as part of a team to provide comprehensive and coordinated care to my clients. I have experience collaborating with obstetricians, paediatricians, and other healthcare professionals, and I make sure to communicate regularly and openly with them to ensure that everyone is on the same page. In the rare instance of a conflict, I handle it professionally and respectfully by identifying the root cause, seeking out solutions and compromises, and finding a way to move forward in the best interest of the client.

17. Can you describe your approach to informed consent and decision-making during birth?

Answer: I believe that informed consent and shared decision-making are integral parts of midwifery care. I educate my clients on their options and the risks and benefits of different approaches, and make sure that they fully understand and are comfortable with the decisions made. I also involve the client's support system and the medical team in the decision-making process, and make sure to document all decisions and informed consent in the client's medical record. I strive to ensure that the client feels empowered and in control throughout their birth experience.

18. How do you support and care for clients postpartum?

Answer: As a midwife, I provide comprehensive postpartum care to support the physical, emotional, and mental well-being of the mother and baby. I provide follow-up care to assess and address any physical or emotional issues, and offer resources and referrals for additional support as needed. I also provide breastfeeding support and education, and make sure to address any concerns or questions the mother may have. I strive to provide ongoing and holistic care to ensure a smooth and successful transition into motherhood.

19. How do you manage and deal with emergencies or unexpected events during birth?

Answer: As a midwife, I have received training and have experience in managing emergencies and unexpected events during birth. I continuously assess the mother and the baby throughout labor and delivery, and quickly respond and take appropriate action in the event of an emergency. I work closely with the medical team and follow established protocols and guidelines to provide prompt and effective care to the mother and baby. I also make sure to communicate clearly and effectively with the mother and her support system, and involve them in decisions about their care during an emergency.

20. Why do you want to work as a midwife in the NHS UK Trust?

Answer: I am passionate about midwifery and providing comprehensive and compassionate care to mothers and babies. I am committed to providing high-quality care that is centered on the needs and preferences of the client, and I believe that the NHS UK Trust offers an excellent opportunity to make a positive impact in the lives of mothers and babies. I am impressed by the Trust's commitment to evidence-based care, its interdisciplinary approach to care, and its emphasis on patient-centered care. I am excited about the opportunity to join a team of dedicated and skilled professionals, and I am eager to contribute my skills, knowledge, and experience to make a difference in the lives of those I serve.


21. Why did you choose to pursue a career in midwifery?

I chose to pursue a career in midwifery because I am passionate about helping women and families during pregnancy and childbirth. I find it fulfilling to be a part of such an important time in their lives and to provide care that is evidence-based, compassionate and culturally sensitive.


22. What inspired you to work in a foreign country?

Working in a foreign country is a unique opportunity to gain new perspectives and experiences while making a positive impact on women and families. I am eager to learn about different cultures and healthcare systems, and to bring my own skills and knowledge to the table.


23. Can you describe your experience working with diverse cultures and languages?

Throughout my career, I have had the opportunity to work with women and families from a variety of cultures and backgrounds. I have developed strong communication skills and have learned to adapt my approach to meet the needs and beliefs of each individual. I am also comfortable working with patients who speak different languages, and have experience using interpretation services and cultural brokers.


24. What are the challenges you foresee in adapting to a new country and healthcare system?

Some of the challenges I foresee in adapting to a new country and healthcare system include navigating a new workplace, learning the local language and cultural norms, and understanding the local healthcare system. However, I am confident in my ability to adapt and am eager to embrace the challenges that come with working in a new environment.


Comments